Step-by-Step Guide on Preventing Tooth Decay
Posted by CITY FAMILY DENTAL on Mar 17 2022, 04:00 AM
Tooth decay is the breakdown of tooth structure and can affect both the enamel — the tooth's outer coating — and the dentin layer. City Family Dental & Implant Centre is here to assist you in avoiding tooth decay because prevention is better than cure. We are happy to assist you throughout the procedure.
When Did Tooth Decay Begin?
Carbohydrate-containing foods (sugars and starches) such as pieces of bread, cereals, milk, soda, fruits, cakes, or candy that are left on the teeth cause tooth decay. Bacteria in the mouth digest these foods, converting them to acids. Bacteria, acid, food debris, and saliva combine to form a film called plaque that adheres to the teeth. Plaque acids dissolve the enamel surface of the teeth, causing holes in the teeth known as cavities.
Steps to Avoid Tooth Decay
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day, in the morning and at night, with fluoride toothpaste. Brush your teeth after every meal, particularly before going to bed.
- Use dental floss or interdental cleaners such as the Oral-B Interdental Brush, Reach Stim-U-Dent, or Sulcabrush to clean between your teeth daily.
- Use a fluoride-containing mouthwash daily. Some rinses also contain antiseptic ingredients that aid in the killing of bacteria that cause plaque.
- Limit snacks and eat nutritious and balanced meals. Carbohydrates, such as candy, pretzels, and chips, can cause plaque to form on the tooth surface. Brush your teeth immediately after eating sticky foods, sugary beverages, and candies.
- Consult your dentist about using fluoride supplements to strengthen your teeth, which will help you to prevent tooth decay.
- Ask your dentist about dental sealants (a plastic protective coating) that can be applied to the chewing surfaces of your back teeth (molars) to prevent decay.
- Consume fluoridated water. To keep children's teeth healthy, they should drink at least a pint of fluoridated water every day.
- Visit your dentist regularly for professional cleanings and oral examinations.
- Prevention is better than cure. Teach your child a regular dental routine and hygiene.
City Family Dental & Implant Centre guarantees the best treatment in town, with highly experienced dentists and state-of-the-art facilities. Positive dental experiences can go a long way. Because prevention is preferable to cure, we strive to provide high-quality dental care that is tailored to each patient's unique requirements.
Schedule an appointment with us by calling (209) 554-1700. You can meet us at our office, which is located at 1317 Oakdale Rd Suite 310, Modesto, CA 95355.